Третий тип условных предложений рассматривает ситуацию-предположение, которая относится к прошедшему и является, поэтому, невыполнимой. В главном предложении употребляется would + have + Past Participle, а в придаточном предложении глагол употребляется в Past Perfect.
Больше уроков на сайте https://mriya-urok.com/
Упражнение 1. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form (Conditional 3).
- If the government ____________ (give) more money to the factory it _____________ (not close).
- If the government ___________ (build) flood barriers, we __________ (not have) the floods last year.
- If Dan ___________ (know) how to swim, he ____________ (not drown).
- If Molly __________ (listen) to the weather- forecast, she ______________ (know) it was going to rain.
- If Greg _____________ (tell) me he was ill, I ____________ (be) more sympathetic. .
- If she __________ (prepare) for the exam, she __________ (pass) it.
- If Bill _________ (see) the house, he ________ ( not buy) it.
- These words ___________ (roughly express) Bob’s feelings, if he __________ (be) capable of reasoning.
- But what ___________ (you do), if you ________ (see) what I saw
- It ___________ (be) all done though, if Jill __________ (help) at the right time.
Упражнение 2. Do you ever think about what would or would not have happened if … ? Make a chain story, using the following.
If I _____________ (not use) so much gas, I _____________ (not have) such a big gas bill.
If I _____________ (must not) pay my gas bill, I _____________ (not go) out in the rain.
If I_____________ (not go) out in the rain, I _____________ (not catch) a cold.
If I _____________ (not catch) a cold, I _____________ (not carry) a handkerchief.
If I_____________ (not carry) a handkerchief, I_____________ (not drop) it.
If I _____________ (not drop) my handkerchief, Juan _____________ (not pick) it up.
If Juan_____________ (not pick) up my handkerchief, we_____________ (never meet).
Moral: Paying bills can be a good thing.
Упражнение 3. Correct the third Conditional sentences if you see any mistakes. Some of the sentences are correct.
- Molly might have thought that Paul was enjoying the weather, if there had been any to enjoy.
- If Krassotkin had known what an effect his words might have on the child, nothing would have had induced him to play this trick on him.
- Even if Jack had died, he wouldn’t just the same has escaped from his horrible position.
- It can all have gone off more harmoniously if Peter had taken the trouble to embellish his story.
- I wonder what might have happened if a Gatling (скорострельное стрелковое оружие) had been used.
- But if Molly had stayed in her home, she wouldn’t have any home left to stay in.
- Bill dreamed of it at the age when everyone would laugh to his face if they could have guessed what was in his head.
- If the robber had been someone like Molly Smith, she’d simply have put the chain straight in her pocket and get away as fast as she could.
- If Greg could have moved, Greg would have leapt upon me.
- If Sally had been with us, the sense of complicity would be cloying.
Упражнение 4. Rewrite the letter, using if-clauses (Third conditional).